Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It's not what you think

You just never really know when God is going to use you. Oh, you think you know what you have planned for the day, and you think you know how it will probably turn out. You make changes and other choices… based on… what? Feelings. How often have you said, “I should go, but I really don’t feel like it.” Tired? Yeah, probably. Lots of us are tired… But stop and think what kinds of things really refresh and revive us. I’ll tell you right now – it’s not the paperback book and bag of chips I’m always joking about. It’s getting out among other living things – people, friends, and nature.

So, I planned my Monday like we all do. I had a small group lunch to attend in Grand Rapids. And I also had an evening meeting in that area. So I planned on doing some window shopping and finding a nice place to have coffee and read while I passed the time in between. Now, there were only going to be three of us at the lunch – so I could have convinced myself it was too far of a drive. And I could have lived without wandering stores and coffee shops. I mean, it does sound a little – well, sorry, but not worth the effort. Have you ever felt like that? But God had other plans. "Love neighbor as yourself" plans. And He said, “Go!”

Lunch time turned out to be a mission trip of support and love and encouragement for my two dear friends. Both of them really needed to talk. Both of them really needed to be heard. We all need a safe time and place to spew out poisonous thoughts – that in itself has healing power. Sometimes, I don’t know what to say. I don’t know exactly how to bring comfort. But I know the One Who can. And so we pray…

The rest of my afternoon? Well, let me tell you, I thought I’d really be struggling to fill in the time until that evening meeting. But how wonderful and delightful to not hurry through some familiar stores – I looked over every plant and flower, wandered up and down aisles, and sat in a sunny corner with iced coffee and a book and watched traffic and people. Ordered a delicious salad for supper and enjoyed a leisurely meal by myself.  Oh my, what a surprise blessing to my life! It sure looked mundane first thing in the morning. But it turned out to be peaceful, joyful, and purposeful.

If your day starts out looking routine, ordinary… well, don’t you give up hope. God can surprise you too – with peace, joy, and purpose. Watch for it!

·        What a difference you’ve made in my life

·        I’m glad you’re here

·        Your day could turn a corner any minute now! Watch for it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie---sounds like a wonderful day! But any time you're in town and have free time, let me know and we'll find some more coffee shops! Love You Girlfriend!! Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're a peach and I'll keep it in mind!

      Delete