Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Determining value


One day…

I got up early and skimmed through the day’s one-page devotional, gulping down a cup of coffee before running off to a weight management class, then heading over to the gym, after stopping for gas. Then I met someone over at the church to help do an inventory in the kitchen. Back home to start a couple loads of laundry. Got that all washed, dried, and put away. Grabbed a bite of lunch while preparing the agenda for an afternoon meeting. Made copies. Led that meeting which morphed into a sub-committee meeting. Watered my flowers. Filled the birdfeeders. Ran to the store for some items necessary to prepare dinner. Swung by the post office. Wove in and out of traffic like a pro. Cooked dinner. Prepped and picked up for an evening discussion group held at our house. Updated calendar with more upcoming family events.

One day…

I layed around in bed an extra long time listening to the morning rain… and then lingered over a cup of coffee as I watched the sun rise from my side porch… and communed with God while I read from my bible. I rambled on leisurely to God as I journaled my thoughts and dreams. I did a little sketching and a lot of smiling. I wrote out a few notes to some dear friends I miss very much and haven’t seen in forever. I strolled down to the post office, praying for my neighbors along the way. And appreciating His beauty in the flowers and the river and the kids riding their bikes. I enjoyed a bowl of cantaloupe – fresh and clean and juicy. I listened to my favorite music and sipped a splash of wine while I prepared dinner. I hugged and kissed my husband big when he came home. We chatted casually, unhurriedly. We snuggled together on the couch while the day came to its close…

In a world where value is measured by activity and production and to-do lists, let us not be confused. While all these things are good… don’t be mistaken or misled – there is value in contemplative, appreciative, slower pace days. So I say, slow down... and enjoy your summer.
 
  • You are important to me
  • I enjoy spending time with you
  • Get a cool drink, put your feet up, and be at peace for awhile
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for a much needed, rarely heeded, reminder. Life is ours to enjoy - abundantly - in and through our union with God in Christ. And I love that you enjoy a splash of wine while cooking and cuddle with your hubby on the couch! That brings me joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking time to reflect and to write. Make a date for yourself to enjoy - before the summer comes and goes!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder...always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your readership and your supportive, encouraging comments :)

      Delete