Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring cleaning of the heart

Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn't she light a lamp, sweet the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin'. (luke 15:8-9)

pring cleaning. That time of year when some people put more effort in sprucing up the place. Whether it’s vacuuming around the edges of the room with that special attachment thing, or washing windows and airing out furniture pieces - you are going a little deeper, doing a little more than you normally would do on a weekly basis. In search of freshness and satisfaction in a job thoroughly done. What a wonderful feeling when it is completed, right? (not to mention more comfortable in having people come over!)

The woman in this parable was also on a search. But not for freshness. For a treasure. Like you, she went a little deeper and more thorough than a quick look for the coin. Can you see her moving furniture, stretching and reaching into the dark corners of the room with her broom? And the parable concludes with her celebrating in joy when the coin is found and the search completed.

I started thinking about the whole cleaning business on a “heart” level. I know the Bible promises that I would have things like joy and peace in my life. And I have had the habit of continually asking God for these very things. Then it dawned on me after reading this parable that maybe joy and peace are already in my heart, and I can’t sense them because of all the “stuff” piled up on top, hiding them from view. Are there piles of worries, anxieties, sadness keeping you from tapping into the joy and peace already in your heart? Is it time to trust in the faithfulness of God and His promises to take care of all things? It’s time to lighten your load. It’s time to sweep away those cobwebs and dustbunnies of worries and fears, and bring that joy and peace out – fresh and satisfying. What a wonderful feel is awaiting you! Happy cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment