Monday, October 13, 2014

I have decided to follow Jesus



When He was at the table with them, He took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him, and He disappeared from their sight. They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while He talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” – Luke 24: 30-32

I was faced with making a big decision recently. My instinct said, "No.” Plain and simple. I do not want to take on this size of responsibility. I am not qualified. And how many times have you been told to stop saying, “Yes” all the time? It’s okay to say, “no” – right?

So I slowed myself down and started to pray. I questioned God about being able to hear Him; if I really am the one for this job; and why can’t I sense a clear direction from Him? That’s when He “led” me to open up my bible and there I found the words to a song which pretty much says, “I am here in the silence, you will hear my voice, you are my choice, be still and know that I am God.”

I tried to think of other reasons why I couldn’t possibly fill this position adequately. Every time, there was a verse or a song or a line from a devotion in response. I was hearing His “Go!” but I was not sensing a peace about it. I wasn’t feeling it.

I tried to reason with Him some more. It seemed like He stopped talking. Then I received this kind of “message” in my head and heart: You don’t need to know what’s ahead and you don’t need to feel comfortable.

That hit pretty hard. Because in the past when I’ve sought the Lord, it seems like He responded with a confirmation that brought me inner peace and I felt more prepared to go forward. This time the message was just “Go”.

So my closing remarks to you this day is this: don’t argue with God. Go with God. He will take care of everything. Just focus on the next step. Do not be afraid or overwhelmed or discouraged. I may not feel prepared but I know the promise of God to equip the called. He will not let me down. At this point I can’t perceive Jesus; I’m on the road. But I don’t want to stop while my heart is burning. I want to stick around long enough for my eyes to be opened – I want to see Jesus.

Are you in the midst of a call? Listen to God and God alone. I wouldn’t want you to miss out on seeing and experiencing  a walk with Jesus either.

No comments:

Post a Comment