Friday, December 20, 2013

When it's hard to forgive



I’ve been thinking back over the years. Before I was a committed Christian. The rocky, wobbly Christian years when I staggered back and forth in my faith – living with worldly priorities one day to “on my knees” repenting, grace, forgiveness and renewal the next. Well, like Paul, I wonder how Jesus could possibly extend unlimited patience to a sinner like me. (1 Tim. 1:16)  Surely in those days Satan had a stronger foothold in my life. My Christian friends were probably challenged by my behaviors and attitudes (bossy, bitter, controlling, rebellious, independent…). But I didn’t know Jesus like they knew Jesus back then. Perhaps they knew of other powers – powers of this dark world and spiritual forces of evil (Eph. 6:12) – powers rebelling at my change of heart. Maybe knowing who the real enemy was made them more forgiving and patient with me.

Paul also writes, in 1 Timothy 1:16:

Even though I was once a blasphemer, and a persecutor and a violent man,
I was shown mercy
because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.

In previous years, he didn’t know Jesus like he knows Him now -  at this writing.

Is there someone you know like this? Someone cross, angry, bossy, hard to get along with? Acting in ignorance and unbelief? Pray for them. Know who the real enemy is here. You pray for that person, that child of God, for freedom from Satan’s snares and evil schemes. That they may come to know our Lord Jesus more and more.

And the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of His mouth. – 2 Thes. 2:8

He came to save us from slavery to sin. The One Who’s birth we are celebrating. He came. Thank God, He came… for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment