Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Plain and Ordinary Life



One day I stood looking at my reflection in the dresser mirror. And I wondered why God would love a plain and ordinary person like me. Seems like I was just going through life day after day; not making any huge contribution to society.

Then I glanced down and saw pictures on my dresser – one of my mom and one of my grandma. My heart filled with such warmth and love and affection for these two women. And I sensed that they didn’t think of themselves as very important or “changing-the-world by storm” people either. They lived each day as it came. But they sure made an impact on me. Without realizing it, they taught me through splashes of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22). I, too, am a woman of God, living out and passing on the legacy they showed me.

How do you want to be remembered? Show some love, share the joy, grant peace, exhibit patience, extend kindness and goodness, be faithful and gentle, and practice a little self-control. It may not seem as spectacular as more worldly measures of success, but like my “mothers” before me, it will speak volumes. Plain and ordinary indeed! Not in God’s eyes. Not by God’s standards.

To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices. –Mark 12:33

No comments:

Post a Comment