Sunday, December 15, 2013

More and More Gifts



I miss my mom at Christmastime. She loved to celebrate. She loved to decorate. She loved to make special days – well, special. Whether she was 50 or 80, she would almost giggle with excitement over upcoming surprises she had planned. Stockings of course. And decorated sugar cookies of course. I remember oatmeal date cookies, and the fresh orange cut up on Christmas morning with sugar sprinkled on it (in a fancy, footed dessert dish), and she always made sure everyone had a gift under the tree… things like that. She had that celebratory spirit about her. My niece carries that same spirit about her a little better than I do – wanting to make life events extra-special with a celebration. God bless her for that!

So, yeah, I miss my mom. Perhaps you miss someone too. And it’s good to remember how the holidays were with them around. But don’t lose sight of what is happening right under your nose. We’ve got a different kind of tree than I grew up with… but it’s beautiful in its own right, especially in the morning with its lights that twinkle. Baking cookie treats are different now… but so many others around me are enjoying them and are delighted that I took the time and effort. I am looking forward to spending time with friends from church this coming Sunday, and time at my son’s new house for Christmas… other types of celebration are going on in my life now; some are firsts. And I don’t want to miss out on what God is sending me to enjoy this year because I got blinded by remembering past gifts He sent my way. He is Giver extraordinaire! Generous. Abundant. There’s no beginning or end with Him. He doesn’t just send you a blessing (gift) once or twice in a lifetime. He sends lots and lots!

So enjoy this year’s Christmas. Add to the big stack of memories you already carry. Don’t be afraid to open new gifts from God. They won’t diminish the old ones one bit. Just feel more and more blessed. That is my prayer for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment