Monday, July 1, 2013

Sticks and stones

 Many of us are familiar with that old childhood rhyme… “but words can never hurt me.” But that’s not exactly true, is it? Words can hurt. But I’m willing to bet that often times, those words weren’t meant to hurt… someone either just blurted out a passing thought, or didn’t really think through how the message would be received. Whatever the motive, do I get angry, retaliate, tell someone, tell God?

Sometimes, I dwell too long on those words and give them power to ruin my day. Once I think through the hurtful words, and I get past being angry at the other person, and start praying… I am led to confess that I am seeking the love and acceptance of others. I want to be heard by people. Liked by people.  When I am hurt by words, it’s because people did not acknowledge what I want them to see in me. Too much me, myself, and I? Prayer is always the best way to go.

I seek the peace and safety of Your wings. Thank You that You want me to stand up tall and live and that I shouldn’t let anyone’s comments or words put me in a long-term crouching position. They are just words. Words out of control. The truth of God’s love for me is ramrod firm – a forever staff that supports my standing, upright body. Words can hurt - but God’s Word can overcome, overpower them. Know God’s Word. Know His deep, rich, forever faithful love. God is for you. God is on your side. God’s love for you is real. God’s face shines upon you. God smiles at you. God has your picture in His wallet. God is good.

God hears me. God sees me. God knows my heart and that’s enough. It’s enough. God understands. God has my back. It’s all I need. People don’t need to acknowledge my presence or affirm my contributions. God knows. He knows.

I pray for all those who have altered their lifestyle because someone said some hurtful thing. Whether it’s not going to church anymore or not eating in the lunch / break room anymore. It’s a sad, sad thing when a person isolates themselves because of someone else’s opinionated words.

·        I’m sorry…

·        Forgive, forgive, forgive

·        Trust that God will right the wrongs in life

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment