Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Anger Management... me?

Just got back from a family road trip. We spent a lot of time in the car driving. Taking turns driving. On busy highways. Through rain. Up and down mountains. And through a couple heated retorts back and forth, depending on who was driving and who was navigating. I’m sure you can relate. Heat, traffic, tension, tiredness, hunger… can all play a role in how patient or impatient we are with one another. Now, when you’re together in a car for many hours, getting upset and angry a time or two is almost a given. But, staying upset and angry is a choice. And I learned it’s just not worth it to stay mad. It ruins the trip, my head and stomach ache, I get distracted… and our vacation starts being filled with bad memories instead of happy ones.

There was another occurrence in a restaurant when communication broke down. And there we sat, nobody talking. And I resolved to find out what I could do to repair whatever damage. Say I’m sorry. Ask for clarification to better understand the other person. But let’s move on and get back to having a nice time.

Now I realize these examples may represent little spats that are just a part of life. But can the same idea apply to more serious “heartfelt” injuries?  Can we ask the other party what can possibly be done to repair the relationship? Can we choose to attempt to make some amends? Or, if the lines of communication will not open, at least practice having some peace about it –  instead of holding onto anger for days, weeks, months, longer. Because the longer it festers inside, the more beauty and pleasantness of life you lose.  Can we talk ourselves into choosing, “I’m not going to be all mad and upset about this any longer. I’m not going to bad-mouth this person or speak negatively about this situation anymore.”  Make peace. Move forward. And not let it suck the life out of life.

Trust that God Almighty knows and cares. And that He never ceases to amaze us with what He can do.

·        God loves every one of us

·        Never lose hope

·        Love… keeps no record of wrongs

No comments:

Post a Comment