Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I talk to myself

 I’ve been doing some reading lately on this “self-talk” thing – you know, what you say to yourself about your self. What I’m learning is that your brain does not know the difference between truths and lies. It just sorts the input by topic and draws from the well when needed. For example, if I tell myself every day that I hate to exercise, when it’s time to exercise, my brain goes to the file drawer and pulls out a message. And guess what? All that’s in there is “I hate to exercise” and I will live accordingly. Groaning and moaning all the way to the gym (unless I succeeded in talking myself out of going). But if I start telling myself, “I don’t mind exercising at all! In fact, I enjoy it!”… well, my brain doesn’t know I don’t really feel that way… and with each passing day that I say that to myself, the chances increase that my brain will pull that from the file drawer and I will live according to that message. Positive thought messages will become my new default. What an amazing concept!

Will it really work? Well, I think it’s worth a try. What kind of truths would you like to add to your “self” vocabulary?  “I am satisfied with just one cookie.” “I am a pretty darn good cook.” “I am well organized.” “I forgive and forget.” “I am self-controlled.” “I am a patient person.” “I’m very capable of getting this size of project done.” “I am very capable of learning new things.”

Is there someone in your life whose character you would like to emulate? Or, maybe you just need to create a list of some characteristics you wish would be more dominant in your lifestyle…

Start talking nice, and strong, and able… to yourself!

·        “I can do this!”

·        “I know how to live a well balanced life.”

·        “ I trust God with my life every day.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment