Monday, January 25, 2021

My casting net is full of holes

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Cast, I looked up, means to throw or fling, one definition said forcefully. As in, take ALL my anxieties and throw them with great aim and determination away from me and into the capable arms of Jesus. Oh, doesn't that sound wonderful?

But there must be something wrong with my net. I toss it out, full of worries and concerns - but some of them come back to me when I pull the net back in.

Maybe that's why we find our fishermen mending their nets in Mark 1:19. Maybe my net needs some tending to as well.

I have some holes in my net of faith and believing. Some doubts. Some impatience. I've certainly practiced throwing my net of concerns up to God. But then I pull them back and worry some more. How tiring; weary I am of them. Doing this same thing day after day. I need to remember that alone I can do nothing (John 15:5)

But in Luke 5, we see Jesus, present and involved and caring - telling them to let their nets down yet again (With Jesus. Right there. With them. With a net made of rope and holes.) And we see Simon say how we might respond as well: "Master, we have worked all night long..." How often have I endlessly tried to surrender my worries! 

"Yet if You say so, I will let down the nets." (v.5) Then Jesus' miracle.

Even with a hole-ier than hole-y net,  with Jesus, all things are possible. Worries and concerns can be cast off, despite doubts and fears and unknowns. Even in my imperfections of faith, with Jesus on the scene, nets can be flung and Jesus can make the big catch.

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Another version says, Pour out all your worries and stress upon Him and leave them there, for He always tenderly cares for you.

I don't know the condition of your net. Or how well (or poorly) you are able to cast your burdens and cares unto the Lord. But know this: when you call on Jesus, all things are possible. Whatever is beyond your ability, He is able. Don't depend solely on yourself. You have a Helper and Friend Who can bring all things to completion.

Cast that hole-y net. Do it again. This time with Jesus. Simon and his fellow fishermen received a boatload of goodness from trusting Jesus. You can too.






No comments:

Post a Comment