Saturday, July 22, 2017

Knows my name


© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands… (Isaiah 49:16)



Many of you know that I live in a small village. With the post office only being a few blocks away, I make it a point to walk down there every day that I can. And inevitably, I come across someone who waves, honks, stops to chat – because they know me.

 One day a lady stopped her car right there on the main road, rolled down her window – just to greet me and have a quick chat. Any cars that came along just went around.

 Another day a perky “Good morning!” from a woman in her garden; a respectful “hi” from the boys fishing off the bridge; and a toot of a honk followed by an energetic wave.

 Today a man coming out of the restaurant. His standard greeting always puts a smile on my face. “Good to see you! And good to be seen!” Then passing the eclectic shop on the corner, I run into one of the owners hauling new treasures in. We can't help but comment to each other about the humidity!

 Me too. I call out to the lady reading on her front porch.

 Even the lady at the post office meets me with a “How are you, Mrs. Crane?”

But next week I leave for a retreat/conference and I’ll be spending a few days with strangers. Away from home and all the familiars. Where people don’t “know my name" - don’t “know me”. I get kind of lost and lonely in big crowds …

 But it’s then that I remember the One Who truly knows me, sees me, is with me, never forgets me! Counts every hair on my head. Has me engraved on His hand and heart.

 You too, are known and loved. In every circumstance. By the Creator, Maker, Ruler, Lover of all the earth. Truly His loving presence is with you always. As sure and as welcoming as a friendly honk and wave.



The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)




No comments:

Post a Comment