Monday, October 24, 2016

The Love of Gifting


© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7)





Part of the fun when going on vacation is thinking of loved ones back home and picking out trinket souvenirs for - the kids, the cat sitter, that special friend. What joy to bring a small token of love to them. It says, “I think of you often.”



And recently I spent the day with someone recovering from surgery, and brought all the fixin’s to make a pot full of yummy soup. What a blessing to give in this way. It says, “I love you.”



A care package to a college student or a soldier – all the goodies you can dream up all boxed up. “I care about you.”



A housewarming gift to those first-time home buyers too.



And let’s not forget the season of giving that is right around the corner – oh, how I love looking for that perfect gift for the people on my list (and can’t wait to deliver each gift and see the joy in the receiving!)



I think about all these special times of giving – the delight and joy I experience. And I wonder … Do I experience the same when I bring my tithe and offering to the Lord’s sanctuary on Sunday morning? Is there any awe in receiving so much from God and the ability to give a portion for His purpose? Or does it feel like I’m paying a bill?



I remember years ago when I first started sponsoring a child in Uganda. Every month I had to make a conscience effort to write the check (its automatic withdrawal now days) and I consciously paused to think about this child, this human being with thoughts and hopes and dreams, and realize I was truly helping improve his quality of life. And if I didn’t give, the quality would somehow diminish. It was a joy to give and know I was making a difference.



Bring your gift of tithes and offerings to the Lord with pure joy. Yes, some of it is keeping the doors of your beloved church open. That IS a blessing to many. But some of it is helping strangers near and far. Some of it IS spreading the knowledge of Christ and His love. But make no mistake, lives are being changed. 



Oh, what joy that thought brings! For both you and God alike.






No comments:

Post a Comment