Thursday, March 17, 2016

Blood, sweat and tears


Only in God do I find rest; my salvation comes from Him. Only God is my rock and my salvation – my stronghold! – I won’t be shaken anymore. (Psalm 62:1-2)

 

Lord, I just don’t even want to have to confess this same reoccurring sin struggle yet again. But it is surely ruining me. Certainly I am not being the best version of myself. Weak. Weaker. Weakest. How do I abhor it like You do? It’s not about binge eating, diet and exercise. It’s about things not going perfectly right the first time. Why can’t I just accept that and try again or slow down long enough to cry out to You? My soul needs to find rest in You alone and maybe that takes conscious effort, practice – every hour on the hour. Purposefully turning my thoughts to You and surrendering whatever feelings to You. My Rock and my Salvation. My Fortress. So that I will not be shaken. I need to be brighter. More hopeful that I can get over the little speed bumps of life victoriously. I need to start being up for the challenge and do more victory dances and maybe I need to pay attention and track these little life challenges. Pursue victory with a determined smile and track all the victories I do have and realize I am winning at life. I can do difficult things. I am not a quitter. I can work things out. I can figure out a solution. I can bring things to completion. I need to be more positive about myself. I need to believe. I need to face my fears. I am afraid I will cave in yet again. I am afraid I am not strong enough. I am afraid I can’t shake off this bad habit. I have a hard time believing I can be made new. I have a hard time believing I can make these changes and sustain them for any length of time. I feel doomed.

And in His anguish He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. (Luke 22:44)

But what does God’s Word say? God says I am a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). He says I can do all things through Christ (Philippians 4:13). He says my soul can find rest and perfect peace in Him (Psalm 4:8). He says I can. He says I’m capable. The One within me is greater than any foe (1 John 4:4). Chin up. He promises to help with His mighty right hand (Isaiah 41:10). I need to keep turning to Him. I need to live with Him as my Fortress. Then I will not be shaken. How many challenges can I face and get through with the help of God today? Who is mightier than the draw of comfort food!

 Will you turn to your Lord and your God in your moment of need? Will you stop and define your challenge, your anxiety and say with confidence – with God all things are possible! This can be resolved calmly. Say it out loud: with God all things are possible. This can be resolved calmly. Stop everything. Stop what you’re doing. Bow your head and hold your hands open, loosely, palms up, and just breathe. Be still and know that I AM (Psalm 46:10). Your God and your Lord.

Lord, I want to bring delight to Your face today by seeking you when I have a challenge. When I face an emotional, spiritual battle, may You be the strong tower I run to, that keeps me safe (Proverbs 18:10); free enough to not hide but face and overcome and claim victory. Not just a shelter when I am weak, but fuel me with an empowering togetherness that moves me forward in confidence despite fear. My hope is in You and You, O Lord, will not disappoint.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment