Friday, November 7, 2014

God is not magic



 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown You and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God (Proverbs 30:8-9).

I confess. I’ve been thinking God is magic through prayer. Because I have wanted to eat right and exercise in a healthy way for a long time now. And I have prayed earnestly. But God has not waved His magic wand and made it “presto, change-o” instantaneously true.

We would all like to think that living the Christian life should somehow be easier. Where everything is beautiful and problems disappear like – well, like magic.

The true Christian walk is a daily, constant walk with God. It goes through trials and fears and challenges as well as the good times - staying together forever. Come what may. It is the world that seeks comfort and ease all the day long. And as much as I too love comfort and ease, I don’t want it at the expense of forgetting my Lord. I don’t want to be the kind of “child” who only calls out when I want something. I want to stand my ground about my relationship with Him and love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. And if I have to do it like Paul says at the end of 1 Corinthians 9, I will beat my body to do what I should do. For everyone who runs the race, receives an (eternal) prize. Bottom line: I must choose.

The true Christian walk is a lot of confession and a lot of repentance. But it keeps us aware and in tune with God. What breaks God’s heart more than a sin and a confession? Not coming to Him at all. Maybe this struggle with diet and exercise keeps me running to Him. Maybe the trials you are facing keep you running to Him. Yes, there are victories - on the other side of the trial. The glories of a wonderful life are being reserved in heaven for those who walk with Him while here – and they far exceed anything the world has to offer. "Run” (live) in such a way as to win His prize for you …


No comments:

Post a Comment