Saturday, November 22, 2014

Beyond all that food

For instance, take the matter of eating. God has given us an appetite for food and stomachs to digest it. But that doesn’t mean we should eat more than we need. Don’t think of eating as important because someday God will do away with both stomachs and food (1 Corinthians 6:13).

I know … poor timing for this message as we close in on Thanksgiving. But hear me out.

After all my time spent studying various dieting plans, and trying everything from fasting to calorie counting to expensive online counseling programs, I’m here to tell you that none of these work – if you don’t have a mental grasp on the goal.

I thought I had the right goal. At one time I wanted to just look good in a pair of jeans with the shirt tucked in. Later on I just wanted to get physically healthy and not have to worry about cholesterol or other potential problems. Sound reasonable. But can you believe I still can’t stick to a diet? It’s a mind game, but why aren’t these motivations working?

I am now convinced that my mind and my attitude are absolutely in control of how a diet is going to play out. And I am learning that what goes in affects how my mind functions. I believe that too much candy, cookie, chips, ice cream affects my mood and my spirit. Too much junk food and I somehow start believing that I am weak and I become doubtful. Insecure. I believe “I can’t.” And that attitude stretches beyond just dieting to actual participating in life. It can border depression.

But if I fill my day with fruits and vegetables and whole healthy grains, with an occasional sweet, my brain functions quite differently. I tend to be more positive and hopeful and able. Believe it or not, it comes more natural to be joyful and have thoughts of goodness. And that is the stepping stone I need to stick to a healthy diet. More good food, God-originated food empowers me to live more happily. Who doesn’t want that?

Maybe you’re not looking to be on a diet. But if you or someone you know is prone to wintertime blues, this might be something you will want to check into.

(I’m not a doctor or nutritionist. I’m sharing my own experience. You know you should consult your doctor …)

Enjoy the goodness of the holiday feasting. But keep in mind how miserable you will feel after overindulging. Do you really want to go there? Food is only one aspect of the celebration. Make memories in other ways as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment