Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What the world needs now....


I have a phobia about calling people on the phone. I’ve been told I am silly and good grief crazy and asked why would I have such a strange fear. I guess I don’t want to bother people or interrupt what they’re doing, even though my reasons for calling are quite valid. But the truth is, when you’re calling – you need something. Whether it’s information, or a request for a service, or just the comfort of hearing their voice. I need something.

Now before you get on your high horse and tell me to “just call!”, ask yourself: how often do you hold back from reaching out in need, because you don’t want to interrupt someone’s life. Ever need a ride some where? And I’m not talking about riding along with someone because it’s convenient, economical and you’re both going to the same place. I’m talking – you can’t drive and need to get somewhere. Have you ever been sick and yet turned down a friend’s offer to provide a meal? “Oh, it’s nothing. We’ll be fine. Don’t bother yourself. You have plenty on your plate already.” Can you imagine yourself accepting a bag of groceries or a box of gently used clothes? Why is sharing so uncomfortable when you’re on the receiving end?

Shouldn’t we all be giving and receiving? What would happen to our relationships if we could live in the ebb and flow of extending that kind of love to one another… some times giving… other times receiving – as rhythmic and as constant as breathing .. and without keeping score. We live. We love. We nurture. We provide. We share. Taking care of one another. In step. In tune. In harmony with one another. So that no one is left behind – in need.

Is this what the world is coming to?

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 AM EDT

    In today's age of electronics and instant messaging, personal contact, like the phone, is almost not an option. And emails can so often be read with a misunderstanding and often result in an unexpected result. I would much rather call someone than send an email, even when I know that it will take longer because of other conversations that arise. But often they are as important as the original concern. Let us not be a nation of non-verbal conversation. They are important for both parties.

    Rich Yeckley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend.... I'll keep it in mind :)

    ReplyDelete