Thursday, June 22, 2023

One word prayer


 I had an idea for a blog post the other day. It came to mind as I was praying for people and using only their first name. We often do that. I’ve seen it in some churches as well. We just say the name and maybe a pause before moving on to the next name. And I wondered if that had the same power and effectiveness as a more lengthy and informative prayer. You know the ones - agonizing, heartbreaking pleas for God to act. Is a mere mention of their name - enough? Can my one word whispered into the ear of God move mountains too?

And then something happened that made me question it even more. While at the gym, an ambulance pulled up. Now I was praying and I didn’t even have a name! All I could think of was: Jesus!

Believe me: I am in My Father and My Father is in Me. If you can’t believe that, believe what you see - these works. The person who trusts Me will not only do what I’m doing but even greater things, because I, on My way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I’ve been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of Who I am and what I am doing, I’ll do it. That’s how the Father will be seen for Who He is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I’ll do. (John 14:11-13 MSG)

Whatever you request. I’ll do it. I’ll do it. Looking at this passage, the real power, the real certain hope - is in God the Hearer and Responder. And not the number of words. Or their eloquence.

He Who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

When you pray, don’t talk on and on as people do who don’t know God. They think God likes to hear long prayers. (Matthew 6:7 CEV)

So, even one word from you or me in prayer, makes anything possible because Christ and His power lives in and through us. 

So let us pray in the name, that one word name, above all names -

In Jesus’ name. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment