Friday, February 7, 2020

Please don't feed the...

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
I just got back from my six-month checkup with the oncologist. It seems like such a long time ago that I had cancer (four years). I had the surgery, the chemo, and the radiation. And for me - that was the end of it. I was done with having cancer. But still, I had to start taking this pill every day for five years. And meet with an oncologist every six months - for five years. Seriously. I'm done with cancer. I'm feeling just fine. I've moved on.

So I had a talk with her today. Because I've forgotten the WHY. Why all this extended treatment - when I'm fine. I had to be reminded that research studies show that cancer returns, quite often, within those first five years. I needed to be reminded that the cancer feeds on estrogen, and that the pill I have to take does not supply estrogen to any cancer that may be lingering or develop. Don't stick around here, cancer cells. Nothing to feed on here! Five years. Research studies show.

It made me wonder - what else am I feeding that I shouldn't be? 

Could it be negative thoughts about myself? Beating myself up when I am truly a beloved child of the living God. And I am doing some good in the world around me. I am.

Am I feeding worries and frets? Do I set out a whole plate full of "what-ifs" for my worries to feast upon? When the good Lord constantly has His eye and His hand on me...

What books am I feeding my brain, my spirit? What kind of music? TV programs. People. 

Who am I living for?
What am I feeding?

"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? (Matthew 25:37)

I don't want the risk of cancer. So I'm taking the pill. Restaurant closed, cancer!
And I don't want the risk of living without the blessings of Jesus.

Just as the living Father sent Me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on Me will live because of Me. (John 6:57)

I want to be more mindful of what I am building up. And what needs to starve to death - for my spiritual well-being.

Food for thought!







No comments:

Post a Comment