Tuesday, August 13, 2019

I am free!


© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Sounds great, doesn't it? Free! Until you have to: "Gluten-free" and "Dairy-free". And then be on the road for two weeks. Then, free for me, became such an annoying obstacle. Gone are the days of simply running in and grabbing a burger and fries somewhere. Every restaurant in the area had to have its menu googled so I can figure out in advance what's available that I can get. More often than not, breakfast was a fruit cup, lunch was a salad - hold the cheese and croutons and creamy dressings. Dinner was anything I could get plain and unseasoned. These are the things I HAVE TO DO in order to avoid feeling physically, painfully miserable for 3-4 days.

I'll bet you were thinking I was going to write about stress-free or anxiety-free. Well, I am.

Overthinking. Obsessing. Negative imaginings - all make you sick as well. Physically. Emotionally, Mentally. Draining. 

I wish there was some Way, some One...

I am choosing not to make myself sick by eating ice cream -  over the temporary comfort of having a bowl. Can we apply that to our emotional, mental health as well? Can we actually fight the urge to worry and be anxious? And choose that which is better for us.

It has taken some determined intent and practice. I am getting better and better at choosing what my body can handle when it comes to eating. Being painfully sick for days will do that. I just have to keep reminding myself that what I think I want - will make me miserable.

But I don't have to stay sad about what I'm "missing". While it's more noticeable when on the road, most days I am very capable of finding something to eat. And I am thankful. How often do we look at what seems to be missing from our lives and forget all the wonderfulness still around?

It makes me wonder. Can thoughts about the peace of Christ and all His amazing attributes be better for my body than the slice of worry and a bowl of anxiety?

Let the peace of Christ (the inner calm of one who walks daily with Him) be the controlling factor in your hearts (deciding and settling questions that arise). To this peace indeed you were called as members in one body (of believers). And be thankful (to God always). - Colossians 3:15 AMP

Who's ready to practice? Who's ready to be free?





No comments:

Post a Comment