Friday, December 15, 2017

Unplugged?

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26)

Like many of you, we have our Christmas tree up now. And like some of you, the husband puts up the lights. We use both the white ones and the colored ones. The white ones are able to do a slow fade, similar to the theater lighting you may have in your car. Some of them simply fade to darkness, then after a few moments, they are brilliant and bright again, while other ones take their turn at fading. My husband likes that - he calls it "movement". The lights stay plugged in, but there is movement in the amount of light shining.

As I sit and watch these lights come and go, I am reminded that it is a lot like life. There are times when I feel connected to God and living life aright. Loving and giving and helping. Then there are days when I have to deal with bad news or stress. And my light seems to fade out and I'm not very strong at all. I'm not my best some days.

But when I stay connected with God, I can know that there are brighter times ahead. That means praying and praising when I don't feel like it. It means reading the Bible and digging around until a passage of scripture clicks and gives me an anchor to hold on to. It means embracing that certain hope: brighter days are coming.

Unplugged? Letting go of my connection with God, and I'm like a string of lights that aren't plugged in. The light goes out. Every glimmer of hope - goes out.

Maybe everything isn't merry and bright for you right now. Even though it is the Christmas season. Stay connected. What little energy you have, use for seeking God. Your light will grow bright again. It will. Life is movement.

Are you plugged in?



No comments:

Post a Comment