Monday, December 11, 2017

Today, I will choose ...

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Where is the man who fears the Lord? God will teach him how to choose the best. (Psalm 25:12)


Choices! Choices! We are confronted every day with decisions to make. And which choice is the BEST choice? Gift shopping and choosing which present will be the best gift for that certain someone. What to serve at the next holiday gathering. What would people really love? As a perpetual dieter, do I indulge, indulge, INDULGE with every temptation that comes along this season - or choose to grasp for good health while still enjoying a little treat now and again? Do I choose to participate and attend every seasonal event, collapsing in exhaustion at the end of every day? Or choose to relish a few activities, saving some time to reflect on the season, a flickering flame, a gentle snowfall, the Christmas lights... the manger? 

So often in the past, Christmas eve has come upon me and I wondered how it got here so quickly. All month long I had plans to settle somewhere quiet on a regular basis to reflect and ponder the true meaning of Christmas, but somehow (because of my choices), the opportunities slipped past me. And Christmas came. Christmas - almost over. 

Not this year. This year I'm going to sit and remember the miraculous account of Jesus' birth. I'm going to ponder Mary and Joseph and how they must have felt. I'm going to stand with the shepherds as the legions of angels came and be as overwhelmed as they must have been. And watch the night sky for the star that led the kings. 

This year, as the time draws near, I will take time to ponder - the birth of the King.


No comments:

Post a Comment