Monday, January 11, 2016

Finding Comfy - Cozy


Serve the Lord with gladness (Psalm 100:2)

 

There certainly are times when I am “happy to do it” – helping someone out. When I am able and when I have the time. Because it’s comfortable. It’s easily within my ability without too much trouble to do it, and it’s of benefit to another. Right up God’s alley of do unto others, right? And God loves a cheerful giver!

 

But what about those times I feel called or led to do something – gulp! – uncomfortable? Like speak in public, or something that involves leadership. Or being nice to someone not very nice back? Then what? Serve the Lord with gladness. Maybe you are one who doesn’t sense any specific calling from God. But doesn’t God’s Word say, “love your neighbor”. And also says, “love your enemies” (Matthew 5:43-44). The comfortable and uncomfortable. We are called to do.

 

We need to look back to the why we do things. If our single purpose is to glorify the Lord and it would make Him happy and well pleased to see us loving neighbor and enemy despite our human feelings at the moment … if we can commit our thinking to glorifying the Lord by doing “it”, then we should be able to serve the Lord with gladness. Because it will certainly make me happy to think I did something the Lord is pleased with. And if I have to strain to do it, all the more glory to Him because I had to rely on Him to get it done. Comfortable in moving forward because I trust in the Lord.

 

Ah- ha! My previous blog post talked about trusting in God as a way of glorifying Him (Jan 9). Are we back to that?

 

Trust in the Lord and not on your own understanding (or feelings) (Proverbs 3:5-6). Be confident in His provision of wisdom, strength and love this day. And be thankful – and lighthearted – and glad – because this is so. God said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment