Monday, August 26, 2013

Lessons from a 9-month old

 One more story from the 9-month old baby that visited our house.

He found our ol’ DVD/VCR player on a shelf beneath the TV… just the right height for him! And you know he became quite interested in that little flapping door on the VCR. He’d go over… his mom would drag him back. He’d go over… you know the story. Eventually though, and it wasn’t too long, before he forgot all about it.

His momma didn’t scream, “NO!! NO!!”. She didn’t slap his hand. She just picked him up and turned him around and gave him something else to get interested in.

Now, those of you who are on diets, or trying to turn away from some other bad habit (smoking, grief, depression, trying to exercise)… how many of you gently turn yourself around and try to get interested in something else? Or do you scream at yourself in your head and find other ways to “abuse” yourself for going “there”.

Gently turn yourself around. Get interested in something else. Find that distraction until the “urge” passes. How does that work in “real time”. Well, the other day I was going out to breakfast with a dear friend. I’ve been trying to eat healthier so I determined in my mind before I got to the restaurant that I would have fresh fruit and some kind of healthy grain toast. Got to the restaurant and unfolded a big, tri-fold breakfast menu. All sorts of gooey, yummy things were on there. But I looked for the sides, found the fresh fruit and toast… and closed that menu up fast. Pushed it aside. Started visiting with my friend. Placed the order. It tasted good. I felt good for the wise choices. I didn’t get overly “stuffed-I-need-to-lay-down-and-do-nothing” feeling. I felt empowered, ready to get on with the day.

It worked for the 9-month old.

It worked for me.

How about you? Willing to try?

·        You are capable of making wise decisions.

·        You are strong enough to take control.

·        Try it. Practice it. And before you know it, you’ll be living it.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie
    A story of my own to reinforce this theory. The Lord was watching over my 16 year old daughter - He brought it to our attention that Erin was involved is a unhealthy activity. We confronted her with it and put her on lockdown away from the kids that were involved. No way to communicate with these kids outside of school. No phone, not computer, you get the drill.

    We did not yell or scream. It took all weekend for the whole story to come out, but it did, on her time. Again, no preaching, she doesn't believe in God right now. I did tell her that through prayer God brought the activities to our attention. That I had been praying for her protection, I wasn't sure why.

    While on lockdown she had to entertain herself. When she got really bored she spent some time with me. :) She started to become herself again and even admitted that the activities were a poor choice. I will keep praying that she feels that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin has been on my prayer list for a long time. Dear precious child of God she is... what an amazing testimony she will have to share. Praying the ultimate best for her. Hang tough, mom... God is guiding you...

      Delete