Sunday, September 1, 2024

Dark nights


I was driving along in the dark. Where I live, there are many wooded areas with no streetlights. I have to rely on the only light I have - headlights. They show me what’s up ahead.

I think about the trust and security I place on those headlights. Oh, I can’t imagine trying to navigate down a dark road without them! As I go along, they go along ahead of me. When I turn my car, the light turns with me. Continually lighting my way. Warning me about debris in the road or deer standing along the edge wanting to cross over. 

I think about rainy nights when roads become wet or even flooded.

I think about snowy nights when roads become slippery or too deep for travel.

And country roads where there may be many curves and hairpin turns.

A lot of different road conditions. Seeing and being aware of obstacles, dangers - as well as beauty - are all made evident by having light go before me. Whether it be headlights at night or sunlight during the day.

Life is often compared to a road or a journey. Twists and turns. Darkness and rain. And again, I can’t imagine trying to navigate without a Light. His Light. God promises to show us the way. God promises to go before us. Continually - just like my headlights. God shines lights of warnings and dangers. God shines light so you can live in trust and security along the way. God’s light will lead you through. 

Are you on a dark road? A dark, wet road? A dark, wet, AND curvy road?!!!

Turn on your God light. He will keep you safe. Wherever you go, God goes before you. God lights up the next step and then the next. His promise.

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths. I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. (Isaiah 42:16)

You, Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. (Psalm 18:28)

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to You I entrust my life. (Psalm 143:8)


No comments:

Post a Comment