Friday, July 15, 2022

When there are no words...

 When it's not a "get well soon" situation... when life has taken a turn and there

is no turning back... it is so tough to try to think of something good, helpful, and meaningful to write in a card. I'm upset. I'm emotional. I want them to know how much I really care. But nothing I think of sounds right.

One thing you can do is turn to the Master of all words. Scripture has an abundance of appropriate messages. I often start by looking up a favorite verse. Then look at it in different translations. There are a few translations that feel conversational in tone. There are often devotionals that reference that same verse, and so I can use a line or two from that.  Here's one example:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still water; he restores my soul. (NRSV)

The Lord is my Shepherd (to feed, to guide, and to shield me), I shall not want. He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still and quiet waters. He refreshes and restores my soul (life). (AMP)

God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. (MSG)

The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always. He provides me rest in rich, green fields beside streams of refreshing water. He soothes my fears; He makes me whole again. (VOICE)

The next couple are from devotional books:

The Lord is my constant companion. There is no need that He cannot fulfill. Whether His course for me points to the mountaintops of glorious ecstasy or to the valleys of human suffering, He is by my side, He is ever present with me.

or -

The Lord is my peace. I shall not live in anxiety. He puts me under His wing of comfort and calms my spirit within me. He takes all my anxieties on Himself and helps me to focus on Him.

Can you see how helpful any one of these could be of help and comfort? All it takes is a favorite verse and a little research (and some prayer for guidance!) and you will be empowered by God's Word to send just the message at just the right time.



No comments:

Post a Comment