Thursday, October 22, 2020

A blanket fort

What a great hide-away! Underneath. Separated from the view of the "real" world. Away from all the troubles, I can forget the burdens of life for a time. Instead, I can dream and imagine. No outside influences. Just a place full of possibilities. I can "say" anything there.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, Who is unseen. Then your Father, Who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)

A blanket fort reminds me, maybe, of how a prayer closet should be. Without the distractions of the world's "noise", busyness, and demands. It's that quiet place, that real me place. Where I can let go, release - (it's okay to do that and just "be" in front of Him!). And His response (His reward to you)?

God thoughts pop into my head. Often times snippets of scripture. Reassuring things I've read about God, His character. His promises. Wrapping me up in security. And peaceful. So peaceful... such a safe place. I can be the real me. Everything seems so gentle and loving and soft. And I can ask for anything...

  • I can ask for His love to touch me
  • I can talk to Him about dreams and plans, troubles and worries too
  • I can joyfully count my blessings
  • sense His love and protection
  • sense His steady and unhurried presence
In the silence, I can envision:

  • God kissing all my owies away
  • things to do for others to brighten their day
  • just sit and absorb the goodness of God
Where is your prayer closet? Where do you find the silence and hear God? In the shower? In the car? Getting up early? Walking in the woods?

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where He prayed. (Mark 1:35)

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16)

Jesus did it and did it often. Why does it sometimes sound like such a laborious thing - this getting off by ourselves to pray? Why do we sometimes think it is a chore that needs to be squeezed into our day? Or only once a day. When connecting with this Father should feel like rescue from the world; an energizing, refreshing, and empowering time for us so we can face what in the world is coming next.

He promises rest for the weary -

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

This verse doesn't say when or where or how often. Just "Come".

You don't have to wait until the end of the day. If you're running out of steam now, then now is the time - to step away. Mentally cover yourself with a blanket, and share your thoughts with this Father of love, compassion and understanding. Soak up some love and acceptance, some peace and security from Him for yourself. Then you can continue on with the love of Jesus in your heart... and in your actions.



No comments:

Post a Comment