Thursday, September 3, 2020

Feelin' a little scrappy

Whether it's a yard of leftover yarn, or several inches of fabric - or perhaps a handful of "this and that" found in the fridge for a hearty soup, we all know that bits and pieces, can and do add up to something when joined with other bits and pieces.

My thoughts on this went to two different directions. One train of thought reminded me of times when I've been burdened with a decision. And suddenly a seemingly random bible verse pops into my head. Then a song comes on the radio with the same message. The day's devotional, written years ago, aptly applies to my present situation. An advertisement on the television. A post on social media. A card comes in the mail. And they all seem to be pointing in a certain direction. Added together, they seem to be guiding me to the same conclusion.

One on its own causes me to "hmmm..." A second one has me wondering if they truly could be related. Multiple messages from one place after another and I have to believe that together they are offering confirmation. It's like a cloud of witnesses watching over me. Each little verse, song, post, and card offered up by someone - reached me without their knowledge of how much it was going to play into my day. God is watching and paying attention. And using others to direct me. God is concerned over my coming and going, my life, indeed - my very next step!

My other train of thought went to examining my effectiveness as a witness for Christ. Sometimes my testimonies feel like they are lacking, not as big and bold as they should be. I missed an opportunity to explain my faith better. In hindsight, I could have chosen my words better and perhaps been successful in winning this person over. But I have to believe in God's presence and providence. His promise to provide words at the right time. And to trust in His master plan for every soul. Perhaps, without knowing it, I had planted a seed and it was added by somebody's watering and someone else's pruning and another's gentle touch. If we all join together and add our little scraps to God's handling, being that cloud of witnesses that surrounds and wraps up from every angle the hurting world in peace and love everywhere you turn... well, then, the love of Christ will become undeniable to them.

Several scraps of yarn can make a beautiful scarf. Several leftover pieces of fabric can create a lovely quilt. And "this and that" from the fridge can become a wonderful stew.

Do you have a scrap of thoughtfulness, kindness, wisdom, faith - to add to mine?

What can God do with our little bits and pieces?





No comments:

Post a Comment