Monday, September 25, 2017

Wash Day

Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean,
    scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
    set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don’t look too close for blemishes,
    give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
    shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. (Psalm 51:7-8 MSG)

Yep. First thing on Monday mornings, I do the laundry. Well, first thing after my bible reading and prayer time. I try not to read just my favorite, most uplifting verses all the time. But sometimes, sometimes ... well,

this is how this morning's prayer time went:

Lord, seems like every time I read Your word I feel shame and guilt. I'm a sinner everyday and every morning I am reminded of that. Hard to regroup from the pile of sin I see in my nature and remembering Your gift of Jesus. Your cleansing power. I sense what a "wretched man" I am and forget the "but thanks be to God" part of that verse (Romans 7:23-25). Maybe its to keep me humble and not think too highly of myself. Although I often think I struggle with just thinking decently of myself. I'm good enough - only because of Jesus. Only because You put Your Spirit within me. And Your Spirit is indeed in me. Sin should grieve me. But the good news is that Jesus has washed it all away. Thank You, Jesus! It's not a permanent mark in God's eyes and because of Your Spirit, Lord, there is also some good being produced through me as well. And the day will come for me when sin will be no more. I'll join all in heaven singing praises before Your throne and love will abound. Your most gracious gift is Jesus and making this all happen. And granting us Your Spirit to accompany us on the way. So let Your love wash over me again this day. Create in me a clean heart, O Lord, a renew a right spirit within me. Grant me a willing spirit to sustain me (Psalm 51:10, 12).

It sure is wonderful stepping out the shower in the morning.
It sure is wonderful to have fresh, clean clothes to wear.
And it sure is wonderful to grasp the truth that Jesus has washed my sins away!

It's wash day! What a wonderful feeling!


No comments:

Post a Comment