Thursday, November 10, 2016

Making peace


© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you’ll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God’s generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time. (Hebrew 12:13-15 MSG)

I’ve never had a panic attack. But I have on a regular basis experienced upsetness. Frown wrinkles on my brow, grinding teeth, churning stomach, heaviness in my chest – whether from fear of the unknown or anger over something I feel strongly about. And I have grown tired of it all.
 Much of this stress has come about because I have way too many things on my “do or die” list. Upon reflection, many of these are just not that earth shattering, but simply personal preferences in my pursuit of an ideal world.
 I've asked myself, what two or three things are truly: immoveable, absolute priorities that I simply can not let slide? And then I look back at all the things that have happened during the day that don’t fall under my absolutes but again, in pursuit of some ideal. How often and how much time wasted on being upset and angry over truly minor things?

My litmus test, my absolute priorities for life are:
1.      Daily time with / awareness of our good triune God
2.      That others would also pursue number one
3.      That others would feel loved, cared about

So, for a simple example – when there’s no milk in the morning for my green smoothie and I’m trying soooo hard to stick to my diet, is it really worthy of a meltdown and some harsh, snide comments? Or can I just remember that God is still good. That starting my day (and anyone in hearing range) upset and angry – does that fall under my litmus test for life? – that God is good, you are loved, taste and see that God is good too. Another example could be when your adult kids make a choice you don't agree with. Will my temper tantrum change their minds? Ponder your own recent upset responses. How many things do you have on your trigger list? Is it time to discard some?
What you say and do most definitely has an effect on the world around you. You want peace? Let it begin … with you and with me.
 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. (NIV)
 Try to stay out of all quarrels, and seek to live a clean and holy life, for one who is not holy will not see the Lord. Look after each other so that not one of you will fail to find God's best blessings. Watch out that no bitterness takes root among you, for as it springs up it causes deep trouble, hurting many in their spiritual lives. (TLB)



No comments:

Post a Comment