Thursday, August 18, 2016

The weight of the world

Jesus had compassion ... (Matthew 9:36, 14:14, 15:32, 20:34; Mark 1:41, 6:34, 3:12; Luke 15:20)


Whether real or imagined, I guess we need to believe that all people would be good and kind if they could, but something in this world caused them to live differently, more hurtfully. If the pain and misery was gone, they would be good and kind and more thoughtful. How to change their situation, their outlook on life? Maybe a little kindness (compassion) and understanding would go a long way. Even if you have to make up a scenario - there must be some story. Do you really need to know the detailed truth in order to extend a kindness? Can't you just be a balm, a relief to that person's day and for once not have to retaliate with a return of harsh words, demeaning actions? The most difficult person you meet today could really use - some compassion and understanding and grace.

Ease up on people. Believe they could be nice and more cooperative if they didn't have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Think about that, because its true of you as well. There are times when you are burdened and not your best.

One example: I have to confess I thought up this meditation early this morning. And it was brought to mind and tested later on. I was in the checkout lane at the grocery store, and this lady ahead of me is going on and on with the gal at the register. And I mean on and on! Clueless that there was a line behind her. Chatting casually along and taking her time with the bags. I wanted to stage whisper, "Come on!" But instead, I told myself she was a lonely woman, only gets out once a week, people who do come to see her are always in a rush to get back to their own lives. This is her moment. Her one moment.

And I decided to have compassion and wait patiently.

Give 'em a break. Take it easy. They're really needing a kind word, something to go right.

Be it.


No comments:

Post a Comment