Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Letters from "home"


 

For the word of God is alive and active … (Hebrews 4:12)



I cried. I was sorting through some books and stuff and came across a group bible study book that my mom had used when she first joined church. And in it was her handwriting. In it were her thoughts about faith, love of family, hope and her beliefs as she answered each chapter’s questions. I would recognize that handwriting anywhere. It is engraved on my heart. What a flood of emotion to see “her” once again in the vision of her own personal handwriting.



I had lunch with my daughter-in-law one day a while back. My son was off doing his weekend army reservist thing. We were talking about things having a way of piling up around the house. She started describing some of the things my son was hanging on to – like Legos! And then she said … he has a box of letters that you wrote him when he was in Iraq … ! In this generation of texting, emailing, face to face time on every kind of electronic devise - my thoughts and sentiments could have easily been deleted and never seen or experienced again. But like my own mom's, the image of my personal handwriting is being saved, and held as honorable, and my words of love and support can be experienced again. And with a flood of emotion, he can “see” me again.



God’s Word is a written word from His heart to us as well. Full of stories and accounts and poetry and lots of love. May you also feel a flood of emotion when you read it.  May it become engraved on your heart. And “see” Him again.



All scripture is God – breathed … (2 Timothy 3:16)



See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hand … (Isaiah 49:16)


(Be inspired to send a handwritten note to someone you know. Small blank notecards in a variety of styles are available on this website. Click the Notecards button at the top right of this page for details.)












2 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel about mom's writing. Sappy cards and smudgy recipes I saved are like treasures. Gods word. Do I appreciate it and treasure it as I should??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is a constant state of awakening; a re-stirring of the pot...

    ReplyDelete