Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Special Delivery


But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. (2 Timothy 4:17)

 

I’m an adoptive mom. So I can’t speak from experience. But I have heard that during labor, the contractions come ... and go. And usually the mother is instructed to rest in between and reserve her strength – for later. In order to rest, she must have to focus on the current moment. Appreciate the respite fully. I suppose that anxious anticipation would drain you, leaving you unprepared for what is ahead. But with the stopping to receive strength, you can make it through the trial, and behold the very glory of God.

 

And it made me think of life in general. Worrying about the future, negative expectations, and anxious “what ifs” all rob us of power to face life’s big and little trials. Without renewed strength, we may stop short of getting through it at all.

 

The Lord knows we need constant refilling. That’s why He says, “Come to Me …” (Matthew 11:28) If life is seeming to get more and more overwhelming, maybe you aren’t stopping to rest when He offers it to you. It’s time to give yourself permission to rest. It’s necessary for a balanced life, a strong life. A getting-through life. And bringing out the glory of God.

 

God offers you a way to have the strength you need for any situation.

 

“Come to Me … and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment