Thursday, September 24, 2015

Choices and lessons learned


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Romans 12:2)

 

So … yeah … I went and got a manicure and pedicure yesterday. So many colors to choose from: from the very mild-mannered tame to the wild and outrageous. Getting a mani / pedi is such a once in a blue moon luxury that the playful side of me jumped right on board with the celebratory spirit and picked out this bold teal color!

 

And a part of me was giggling like a child inside at such a foolish, crazy, out of character choice. But walking out of the salon, my frivolous choice stood out like flashing neon lights with every step! Good Lord, what was I thinking?

 

Being a Christian can sometimes be like that. Not conforming to the norm in the way the world responds to situations but being more Christlike: in patience, in forgiveness, in compassion. Yes, we too, probably stick out like neon lights when we extend love instead of giving people “what they deserve”.

 

But like the colors on the nail polish rack, we have choices. Do we go tame and blend in with the world? Or be bold for Jesus and giggle with childlike delight?

 

I am enjoying my bold teal nails. They are reminders that I am a child of God and a representative of the joy of Jesus to the world.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment