Monday, August 27, 2018

What's for dinner?

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of Him Who sent Me and to finish His work." (John 4:34)

I made chili the other day. After getting it all started, I realized I didn't have any tomato sauce in the house. But I forged ahead, not wanting to stop the process. I just wanted to get it done. Throw some dinner together. A chore to be done.

So I substituted.

And let's just say that catsup is not the same as tomato sauce. It sure looks the same. I mean, how far off could it be?

I've made some great chili in the past. Usually by following a recipe though. You know, the ones found in some famous, well-known chefs book.

But I tried to make chili quick and what as easiest for me. I expected the same results. I expected the same end result as when I followed the one "in-the-know".

Needless to say, the efforts I made hastily and on my own did not produce the desired outcome.

And it got me to wondering - if I ever serve the Lord in this same hurry and "get 'er done" manner. Serving because it has to be done. Making substitutions instead of consulting the guide book. Seeing it as a chore that has to be done. Not following Anyone's instructions (recipe) but my own.

And expecting the same results.

Are we not called to be obediently active and fruitful? Listening and then obeying. His calling, His plan for our lives.

So... what's for dinner?
Maybe we should check the "recipe book".
What is It calling for, exactly?

No comments:

Post a Comment