Thursday, May 18, 2017

Stop! Look! Listen!



© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (Jams 1:22)

I’m trying to remember the first time I heard that phrase. I’m thinking maybe as a small child learning to cross the street. It would certainly apply. Meant to keep you safe; to protect you from harm. A warning. As a little kid, I probably tried a time or two to NOT listen to this teaching, thinking I could somehow get around the actual obedience – much to the fearful panic of my mother watching! Endangering not only myself, but possibly others too.

It probably came to mind when I was learning how to drive as well. Before you attempt to cross an intersection or merge into busy traffic – stop, look and listen.

This phrase, taken to heart, protects our physical being from bodily harm.

Do we do the same for our spiritual being?

Do we stop, look and listen for God – especially when we are headed into some busy, high-traffic to-do lists for the day? Seems like the same concept of pausing, looking around, considering and maybe even hearing from God Himself would be a means of safekeeping / protecting ourselves from harm.

It’s become ingrained in me to stop, look and listen when I’m heading into traffic. I do it without thinking about it. Took practice. Took reminders. But I am here – safe and sound. The same goes for building the habit of talking with God. Are you thinking maybe you can “get across” without it? Thinking you can “dash” through on your own and no one will get hurt? I wonder …

Have you stopped, looked, listened for Him today?










No comments:

Post a Comment