Saturday, July 15, 2023

Come together

 

Today I am reminded that seven years ago, on this day, I completed all my cancer treatments. What a day to celebrate, indeed! But more than that, what a time to celebrate the gracious giving of so many while I was on that journey. There were unending cards, letters, text messages, social media posts, and phone calls too. Meals for my husband and I. Offers to drive me to appointments and offers to sit with me through them. All during the seven months from diagnosis to treatment completion, many were relentless in their steady, consistent love and support. It just never seemed to stop or even let up. The desire to love, support and encourage me through it all remained steady from beginning to end. God laid it on your hearts to do something, great or small, over and over again - you felt His nudging. And let me tell you, the combined efforts were powerful.

I have to wonder if we have the same obedient desire to repeatedly answer God’s call on our hearts in our churches; in the lives we encounter everyday. Because you knew me, loved me, and had a close relationship with me - perhaps it was just easier to answer God’s call. But what about the others? In your church? In your neighborhood? Are we coming together in great or small ways, over and over again - making our combined efforts powerful in testimony of the great God we profess to love and serve?

… that they may be one as we are one - I in them and you in me - so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17:22-23 NIV)

We who believe know that God’s love for us is relentless. Continuous. He is never too busy or distracted from sending love our way. In great and small ways. An outpouring, overflowing love from the very heart of our Father God.

The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly, I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’ (Matthew 25:40 NASB)

Remember we are here to love and serve. As you loved and supported me through my cancer journey, are there now others who are in need of some of the same? It takes all of us - to participate in the common good. Our combined efforts - are powerful and effective. 

Let’s come together and make love happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment