Friday, November 20, 2020

Thanks times ten

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
"Teaching" Sunday School via snail mail has had its challenges - and its rewards. As I contemplated a lesson for Thanksgiving week, and the myriad of scriptures regarding thanks, I "stumbled" (God-led) to the account of the ten lepers (Luke 17). You know the one: someone got sick with leprosy and other people could easily get sick if they got near, so they had to live apart. They missed their family and friends so much! BUT THEN - Jesus stopped - He stopped what He was doing and where He was going. And with a touch and a word...

as the ten walked along on a seemingly ordinary path on a seemingly ordinary day - it happened. They found themselves made better. So of course they rushed towards home, eager to embrace loved ones.

But one of them...

one of them turned back. Back to Jesus. Full of thanks and praise! "Thank You for making me better!" He couldn't hold back; couldn't hold his appreciation in. And he couldn't wait to then go and tell what the Lord had done.

Where are the other nine? Jesus asked. Were not all made better?

As I sit here writing, I can't help but think of reasons to join the one in thanks and praise. From new days dawning and sun rises, walks outdoors and fresh air chilly on my cheeks, laughter and giggles over hot cocoa, thick socks, casseroles warm from the oven, a phone call with a loved one - oh, and worship songs to hum! Yes, I think on these things - these love-gifts from God, and I am made better.

"Thank You, Jesus!"

Who will run back with me? Will you join me, running to Jesus and giving thanks?



No comments:

Post a Comment