Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Where's the fire?

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
This morning as I was getting ready for my day, I realized I was literally "scrubbing" my face cream into my skin, in vicious circles - as I was thinking about my to-do list. I caught myself. And thought, "Would one minute of gentle massage of my favorite scented cream really throw off my whole day?" So I slowed down. Smoothing my orange vanilla goat milk cream across my forehead, my temples, under my eyes, my cheeks. And gently down my throat. Oh, what a moment of complete serenity. Instead of heart-racing, rattling thoughts about what needs to get done, I enjoyed a moment of soulfully preparing for the day. Calm. Cool. Collected. Where's the fire, indeed!

Perhaps we can all learn from this. A reminder that a moment of prayer can do the same thing. Let His words, like oil, run down your face (and into your beard! - as it did for Aaron in Psalm 133:2). Will a moment or two of prayer really throw your whole day's schedule off? Or will it gather you up in a hug of calm, cool and collectedness? Where's the fire?

The fire should be in our approach to our days. The fire should be in our health, mentally and spiritually - our very heart. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21).

Like the to-do list, sometimes our thinking about prayer seems to include everything all at once. I don't have time to thank God for everything, and prayer for everyone I know in need. And my own set of worries on top of all that.

But for a moment, thank God for a few things.
In a different moment, prayer over someone who comes to mind.
Later, let God know your personal concerns.

Pray at all times, and in all circumstances... Make your life a prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
Talk to God in moments.
Take a moment... and see how refreshed you will be.

Where's your fire?



No comments:

Post a Comment