Thursday, February 15, 2018

That still, small voice

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)

Impulsive is not a word I would use to describe myself. No, I like things planned out in advance. I like to know and be prepared ahead of time. Visualize how things will go. Planned. Prepared. Organized. Okay ... "controlled".

But often, things don't go as planned. The unexpected happens. At a moment's notice. A shift. Sometimes, its for the benefit of another. Other times, a surprising blessing to your day.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. (Isaiah 55:8)

I THINK I'm going to do this and that today. But a phone call perhaps - and a choice - and I drop my plans to do something totally different.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27)

Impulsive. (Latin - driven onward) Following Jesus at a moment's notice. Holding my plans loosely; grasping His plans firmly. Answering the call. His voice. Surrender - no control. Surrender. It may feel impulsive. An impulsive, quick responsive action to God's calling.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. (Isaiah 55:8)

That thought that just raced through your mind - that still, small voice ... was that You, God?

Some days turn out way different. And that's okay. Because I know the Lord's hand is on my life. I know He has plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11)

Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. (Proverbs 19:21)

I think we get it mixed up. We think we need to get busy do-do-doing for God. When He is really calling us to listen first - then obey Him.

The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." (1 Samuel 3:10)


No comments:

Post a Comment