Monday, January 1, 2018

Does prayer really work?

© 2013 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Then Jesus asked, “But who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “You are the Christ.” (Mark 8:29)


My morning prayer started off with a "everyone needs You, Lord". Everyone has troubles and worries and wants freedom from them. Does prayer always bring peace?

I guess it depends on how you pray. An exhaustive list of bad news can be overwhelming and depressing. Its only when I start reminding myself of God's character that I begin to relax my shoulders, steady my breathing, unclench my jaw.

What are the words I focus on when I lift up my concerns to God? God is good. And God is good to me. Strong too. Wise. All-wise. Almighty. Loving. Caring. Present. Generous. Patient. Merciful. The Lord has helped before - the Lord will help again. Healer. Miracle Worker. Savior. Powerful. Faithful. Trustworthy. All-knowing. Nothing is impossible for God. God of Lightness. God of Hope. Yes! God of Hope! Now, when I respond to every burden and care with all that ... I catch myself taking a big cleansing sigh. A sigh of relief. Someone bigger that you and I is involved and at work. The end of my wisdom is not the end. He's got the whole world in His hands. Do not be afraid.

Seek first the glorious kingdom of God.
Seek first all God's amazing character traits. Say Who He is.
And see for yourself - prayer at work.





No comments:

Post a Comment