Thursday, November 9, 2017

Passing the peace

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

I chose this wheelbarrow of pumpkins because, well, sometimes our quiet prayer time turns into a whole lot of burdens being unloaded - onto the "God Who hears".

That's what I was thinking this morning. After a while I started feeling guilty. Should I really spend all this time in "asking mode"? I tried to think. Praise. Check. Thanks. Check. Asking. Double check. Yielding. Well, yes.

One by one, little worries and concerns crept into my mind. And I would pray. I would pray until I felt some resolution (mostly the yielding part - where I surrender all hope to God). That yielding, that surrender led to a comforting restfulness of spirit. Because I know I can have certain hope in God. I don't know what He will do, but I know He's on it! He's handling it. He's caring about it.

I forced myself to sit a little longer, past when I thought I was "done". A couple little tiny bothers popped up. I prayed. And you know, I felt emptied of the days worries and problems - BUT FILLED WITH THE PEACE OF CHRIST. I came with a wheelbarrow full of problems and left with a wheelbarrow full of peace and joy in the Lord.

Passing the peace. Many people do that at church or a gathering. A quick hug and a whispered "the peace of Christ be with you". Research showed me that it also means reconciliation between the two. Not holding anything against the other. Free to be at peace. When we trust in the Lord with our burdens, great and small, there is an exchange that also takes place. That there may be peace.

Trust in the Lord.
Take your every worry to Him.
Trade your sorrows ...
For the joy of the Lord.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)






No comments:

Post a Comment