Saturday, February 20, 2016

It all takes time

Then God led Abram outside and said, “Look at the sky. There are so many stars you cannot count them. Your descendants also will be too many to count.”
 
Abram believed the Lord. And the Lord accepted Abram’s faith, and that faith made him right with God. (Genesis 15: 5-6)
 
It takes time. Anyone who has ever handcrafted a big project like this – knows. It takes time and perseverance. And the beauty of hope. The wait for completion may seem long. But then the, “It is finished!” moment arrives and everyone glories in amazement. The seemingly impossible has happened.
 
I didn’t really think I was capable of such a huge undertaking. But row by row, day by day, I stuck to the instruction sheet … I learned new things. I became stronger in confidence and belief. With the support of others, I met the challenges of not understanding and of doubt. Journeyed on to the next step.
 
And then one day as I neared the end – I put it away. For months it layed in a bag in the corner of the room. The job of sewing it all together was beyond my skill level – I was sure. Disappointment in myself, my lack of faith, my own impatience …my faltering in hope of actual completion. Did the great Abram have similar feelings? I’m thinking he did.
 
It’s interesting to note that the stitch used in this afghan is called the “star stitch”. Interesting because of how perfectly it ties in with God’s promise to Abram. Look at the picture closely. Can you even begin to count the number of star stitches? Yet the seemingly impossible has happened and all the stars needed to make the complete afghan are there. It just took time. And despite my lapse in time, it made it to completion.
 
God makes promises to us as well. Stars can remind us of His faithfulness to bring all things to completion (Philippians 1:6)
 
Some things are worth the wait. The time. Certainly God is.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment