Thursday, June 18, 2015

Things I need to know

... there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over  flocks ... (Luke 2:8)

Many of you know I work part-time at a childcare center. Oh, the lessons I've learned!

I've learned that they say, "No!" (I'm not gonna listen to you!) as often as I say, "No!" (Don't do that! Not safe!) and we are both adamant and standing firm. (I wonder if  bump heads with God the same way ...)

And that as much as I would love to sit and play and enjoy our time together, there are times when their poor choices "ruin it" and I must more firmly say, "No!" and separate them from myself with a time-out. (I wonder if God does the same with us ...)

And as fun as playing and being active is, lying down with a blankie (after putting up a good fight first, of course) - is alright. (I wonder if we too, put up a fight when God calls us to rest ...)

There are safe and secure cuddle times when a child will just sit in my lap, lean back, thumb firmly planted in the mouth - and just watch the world go by. What a pleasure to provide those few precious moments to their busy little lives. (I wonder if God longs to provide that for us as well ...)

And at day's end, father (or mother) will come, and all will be perfectly right with the world. There will be ear-to-ear smiles, outstretched arms and shouts of joy. As wonderful as the day has been: "I'm going home!" (I wonder if we think about Father coming to take us home - with such joy ...)

In the meantime, there are others put into place to journey through this day with them, providing food and drink at the proper time, keeping them safe, clean, protected, loved. (I wonder if we see our journey together like that. Meeting each other's needs until Father comes ...)

Are you a shepherd?
Living nearby?
Keeping watch over a flock?




No comments:

Post a Comment