Friday, April 28, 2023

Worn and tattered…


I love this old sweatshirt. I know. It’s a blah gray. The cuffs are frayed. There are holes here and there. Worn pretty thin in the elbows as well. And the zipper gets stuck. But it is comfortable. And comforting. It’s been through a lot. I won’t give it up for anything. Yes, I have nicer clothes. Brand new. Brightly colored. But there’s just something about this ol’ sweatshirt. It still serves to hold back the chill. The pockets still hold my cupped hands or a tissue. My keys. It might look way past its prime. But don’t let looks fool you… Yep. I love this ol’ sweatshirt. It meets my needs just fine. I’m happy wearing it. And I wear it often.

Maybe you feel worn and worn-out sometimes. Past your prime. You look at yourself and think you should look better, be better, do more. But that is not what God sees. He most certainly loves you just where you are today. You mean a lot to Him even if you feel a little (or a lot) scruffy. You still have ways to be used by Him. I want you to know you meet His needs just fine. And that He is happy with you just as you are. He knows you’ve been through a lot. And starting to look like it. Still, He will not give you up for anything. God is comfortable just being with you and happy to be with you. Just like my well-worn sweatshirt. Now I’m old and gray too. There are times when I get stuck. Yet I know God loves me. Loves me still. It is the same for you.

They will still bear fruit in old age… (Psalm 92:14)

Even to your old age and gray hairs I AM He, I AM He Who will sustain you. (Isaiah 46:4)

He remembered us in our weakness. His faithful love endures forever. (Psalm 136:23)

Feeling a little worn thin? Frayed around the edges? It’s okay. God loves you. Forever and a day. Even in this wearied state.

Take a second, closer look at your most favorite shirt. Or comfy blanket. Maybe it’s that mug with all the chips. Hold it close to your face. And realize God holds you the same way.

God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment