Thursday, August 31, 2017

Joy! What a treat!


© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
Taste and see that the Lord is good … (Psalm 34:8)



I’m trying out a new knitting pattern. Parts of it are quite challenging at first glance and I have my doubts whether I can even do it. Uncharted territory. Sometimes I’d rather stick with what I know. When I first started knitting, all I made was mittens. Safe. Comfortable. Familiar. Confident. Then the “dare” to branch out. To know more than I know. And then to experience the greater joy in that “more”.

 So, I read through a section of the pattern. And read it through a second time. Then read just the first phrase. Dissected it. Visualized it. And slowly comprehended it. Before I knew it, I’m knitting it! Each step started making sense. Each additional step added more joy and confidence in what I now knew.

The same technique can be applied to bible reading. Yes, it’s comfortable to read the same favorite, familiar passages over and over. But what joys are we missing? It can look challenging at first glance. You may even doubt you can do it. But are you ready, wanting, willing to know more than you know about God and His love?

Read through a section.

Read through it a couple times.

Read the opening phrase.

Dissect it.

Visualize it.

Taste and see …

Then continue on with the next phrase.

 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. (John 15:11)




No comments:

Post a Comment