Monday, June 10, 2013

Peace... today

 When does thinking, planning and struggling to figure out – turn into worry? When you start to believe there is no good solution or outcome. Which really boils down to not believing in God’s promise for a good and perfect plan / will for you. (Jere. 29:11)

When God says do not worry about tomorrow (Matt. 6:34), He’s talking about any future piece of time. Tomorrow. This afternoon, even an hour from now. He will still be with you. “I will not forsake you.” (Heb. 13:5) Ever.

I jot down “to-do” things that I don’t want to forget. There are things on my mind when I first get up about what needs to get done. Like getting a birthday card mailed out on time. Or planning an evening meal (again!) and wondering what I have on hand that might prove interesting. Or preparing an agenda for a meeting and contemplating over a serious topic that has been challenging – but needs to have a vote. Each one of these examples can turn into varying degrees of worry. We can easily become distracted by all the “what-ifs”. But anxiety empties our “present” of its peace. My “present” can be ruined by “supposing the card doesn’t get delivered on time”, or spinning my wheels wondering if my husband will like the concoction I threw together for dinner. I can stir up a lot of anxiety acid in my stomach dwelling over the possible direction and tone of a discussion and vote.

Or, I can believe that God is good and God is with us and God will not forsake us. Ever. He can see what I can not. No matter what “what-ifs” we can dream up, God has in His hand for you and for me – that good solution or outcome. I can believe He has goodness in His heart. And… already… my breathing has slowed down and I am restored to the peace of His presence – in my “present”. And I smile in gratitude.

·        God promises to take care (1 Peter 5:7)

·        His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches over me / you

·        “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” – Is. 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment