Monday, July 2, 2018

In other words

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
... so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11


I'm sure we all have our favorite translation of the Bible.  Whatever it is, it has become the familiar, the cadence and rhythm version that brings the most comfort to us. Some of the most well-known, well-loved verses almost have a sing song-y quality to them as we have memorized and recall them.

And still, there are some words or phrases that are hard to understand. Even though they are in understandable English! So I have been venturing into the world of other translations. Not to replace the beloved Bible I have and use all the time, but to enhance, develop, add depth to my understanding of a passage. That I might recall a fuller meaning even as I recite the familiar.

Come with me. Join me in this morning's adventure of studying and discovering a passage found in the Psalms:

Psalm 42:11
Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (NIV) This is the version I normally use and the one that I am able to memorize and remember in times of need. It doesn't really matter which version you connect with ...

But, O my soul, don't be discouraged. Don't be upset. Expect God to act! For I know that I shall again have plenty of reason to praise him for all that he will do. He is my help! He is my God! (TLB) What jumped out for me in this version is the believing God will act. And believing I will have reason to praise yet again. Whatever is upsetting me, will pass.

Why am I so overwrought, why am I so disturbed? Why can't I just hope in God? Despite all my emotions, I will believe and praise the One who saves me, my God. (VOICE) This version echoes my heart both the frustration of why can't I just hope and believe (!) and when it says despite all my emotions (!) - I will still believe in God.

So I say to my soul, "Don't be discouraged. Don't be disturbed. For I know my God will break through for me. Then I'll have plenty of reasons to praise him all over again. Yes, living before his face is my saving grace! (TPT) God will break through for me. God will! For me! Plenty of reasons to praise him all over again. Again and again. It will surely come.

My soul, why art thou sorry; and why troublest thou me? Hope thou in God, for yet I shall acknowledge to him, he is the health of my cheer, and my God. (WYC) The "thou's" don't derail me because I have now read various other translations so I know and understand. I like the use of the word "acknowledge" and also the concept "he is the health of my cheer".

Can you see now how using various translations can pull together a more complete, more in-depth look? You read all these - one after another - and surely your soul can be lifted up and stand secure in the promises of God. The God Who saves you. Helps you. Breaks through for you. Over and over again.

Yay, God!





No comments:

Post a Comment