Friday, February 23, 2018

Speechless


© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
“Speak, for your servant is listening.” (1 Samuel 3:10)

Who doesn’t love music? There are songs for every occasion. On happy, good mood days, do you find yourself belting out the lyrics in the shower, in the car? And on those bad, sad days – curled up under a blanket and whimpering days – do certain songs fill you with the exact words you couldn’t come up with on your own?

When I started taking walks several years ago, I stumbled across some classical music. Instrumental. Without words at all. And my eyes were opened to the sun and the sky. Leaves and flowers. My eyes wandered freely. My thoughts wandered too – without the direction of familiar song lyrics.

My thoughts were free to be … directed by God.

I wonder if my prayer life looks like this. Often my prayer time has an agenda (direction): some thanks and praise, some regrets and requests …

But how hard it can be to pray – without words.

One thing I ask from the Lord,
This only do I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To gaze on the beauty of the Lord
And to seek him in his temple. (Psalm 27:4)

Is it possible … to just sit … and gaze upon the beauty of the Lord? Mary thought so.

She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. (Luke 10:39)

I pray to sit before the Lord. I pray to let His thoughts enter mine. To seek His face. His voice. If only for a moment or two.

To turn up the classical, instrumental background and walk humbly with my Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment